Secondary School Transition

During the first half of Year 6, you will be asked to nominate the secondary school your child will attend the following year (Year 7).


Most children attend the government secondary school closest to their home. Families, however, may choose to send their child to a different secondary school because the school has a specific focus, such as music, science, art or sport.


Exploring your options early will also give you time to visit different schools, attend information sessions and find a school that meets your child’s needs and aspirations.


Residential boundaries may affect whether your child can attend a particular secondary school.


Your child’s Year 6 coordinator can help you with any questions you might have about the process and they will also help you to get the appropriate paperwork for enrolling your child into secondary school.


If you are moving to a new area, interstate or from overseas, you can enrol your child in a Victorian government secondary school at any time throughout the year.

When a student transfers from one school to another the school you are leaving will provide the principal of the new school with a transfer note. This note includes information about the student like name, address, emergency contact details, any medical conditions the student may have as well as their academic records.


Further information is available at